Friday, July 10, 2015

Playing with more watercolors

So I got some new brushes and new paints.  And here's what happened...



What did I learn from playing with the brushes and paints?...  

1.  The brushes have some stuff on them when they're new.  It makes the paint kinda sedimentary, you really have to play to mix the water, at least until all the stuff gets diluted.  At first I thought this was from the paint, but I couldn't really believe it because I think the Kois are quite popular.  But, no, it's the stuff on the new brushes.  I'm gonna research what that is.  Or not -- bottom line, wash the brushes out before you paint with them.

2.  The paint brushes have a completely different feel than the water brushes I've been using.  Bottom line, I need to paint with all of them some more!

3.  I need to play with watercolors and brushes more.  I can't make them do anything I want them to do yet.

4.  After I played, I had to look up how to handle the brushes.  I sorta knew, but pretty much confirmed, that they should not stand upright while their drying.  Lay them flat or at a slight tilt brush-side-downwarn so that the water and paint does not make their way up into the ferrule.  



Lastly, here is an update of my flower page.  Only 3 flowers left?...  I love it.  I only wish I had done a wash before I started coloring in, which I very much intend to do on the next page!  Which is another lesson learned, and will be shared with the McManuses and the Rosases when I bring their gifts (art supplies) up to DC in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait!  (But I also need to be collecting some knitting stuffs for the Rougases...)


Another lesson learned...  I've been reading a book -- Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often to Become a More Creative, Productive, and Successful Artist.  Anyway, the author totally talks about how she sometimes stocks up on several paintings in one session to get a little ahead and make up for time off, etc...  So, I wasn't going to do that.  But she's the professional, and I'm learning from her, so I'm totally going to do that...  Which brings us to TODAY.  I am caught up through yesterday, and I need to do some artsy-fartsy stuff today.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment