Saturday, January 18, 2014

Angel Collection

I thought I'd post my angel collection.  Most of them were done prior to the new year, so don't really count as my Sketch-A-Day...


This is one of the first angels.  I did not like at all how the texture was so visible.  However, this more more of the form I had in mind.  It was the form of the little baptism angel that my step-mom had given me when my brother was born.  For the life of me, I can't find the figurine...  And she has no idea what I'm talking about.  So, maybe it came from someone else?  Maybe I'm just loco?!...  
Maybe all of the above...

Now that I think about it, looking at the smudges around the angel, and how I was able to smooth them out, I should have tried to smooth more out...  Maybe it could have worked?  




One of the first ones.  Still playing with colors, trying to get a feel for what I want, how I like it.  But at this point, it's becoming increasingly clear that I'm not digging the texture.  




One of the earlier ones.  I was playing with the layers and colors.  I do like how the red and orange show through on this one.  I even have some baby blue up by the hands.  Still, the very visible texture detracted from the misty look I was envisioning, and it didn't work for me.





This one was actually not how I had pictured the angel, with very defined boundaries and shapes.  I was using the oil pastels that Kevin gave me for Christmas, and just wanted to try something new since I wasn't able to get the angels look how I wanted them to.  I ended up giving it to Yo this week since she's moving soon; this one was her favorite.  Hopefully she'll put it up somewhere in her new house and think of me when she sees it.




This one I did with colored pencils.  I really liked how it turned out, and I want to play with my colored pencils more.  It's not the angel I was wanting, so it didn't win out in that respect, but it was an interesting effect with the crosshatching.  The colors layers well.  And while I like the effects of the pencils, I didn't get the form just right.  But it was a nice learning moment.  I actually drew it in a sketchbook -- black-paged sketchbook is awesome! -- at an angle.  I had to cut it at the angle to get it all to fit into a 5x7; there's one little sliver at the top-right corner that's missing because of the angle.



This is one of the last ones that I did.  I painted it at D's house when I got the smooth paper.  I like how it blends better, more smoothly, without the texture.  It looks more foggy or misty with the smooth paper, which is more in tune with how I imagined it.  D really liked this one.  I think it was her favorite.  And I like it as well, how the highlights in the wings -- I'll call them wings because that's how D and C saw them -- stand out so much.  She actually thought I'd highlighted them with a white, when in fact the highlight is a green.  It's one of the undertone colors, and I had just gone a little farther out than I intended.  I'll probably give this one to D and Taylor, even though they already have an angel on their wall.  Yes, I'll give this to D.  It was just her birthday a couple of days ago... I'll buy a frame and give it to D.


Found another one that I'd made in my color sketchbook.  Don't remember doing it, but I was probably just playing with the colors, see if I liked it any better than the darker background, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment