Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March 11: Life Drawing Meet Up Group at AVAA

I was quite intimidated to join today's group.  While it's an open meetup group and anyone can go, I thought for sure they'd look at my stuff and tell me that I need to take some more art classes before I come back...  Luckily, that didn't happen.

We started out a little late, so I'm guessing the short poses were cut short.  That said, they started with several 1-minute poses...



I started out with my soft pastels, just trying to see the lines and forms.  What shapes are there?...  I think a couple of them flow quite nicely, and this may be a good way to get my drawings started.  Then I switched to charcoal pencils so that I could start drawing in specific body parts and more shadows.



The colors here are rubbed off from from adjacent pages.  I went ahead and used adjacent pages for the short poses, the "warm up."



Then they went to 3-minute poses.  



Then, there was an hour-long pose.  I did my best to work as long as I could, which was only 1/2 hour, but you have to build up to the long poses, and I'm just not ready yet...


My finished long pose painting.  I think I need to work on the boobs, much flatter looking in the painting than in real life.  But not bad overall, considering I haven't done any life drawing for years.  

And no one told me to take more classes.  They were very nice and inviting.  A couple of people came and had a look during the breaks, but no one said anything, good or bad.  I did talk with one other person there; we traded information about favorite stores for art supplies.  I need to check out the Co-op!  Anyway, she was really nice, and had only good things to say about the group:  very inviting, everyone's there to practice, so everything's okay...  And at the end, I did not feel like an outsider, nor an unwanted-beginner.  It was very welcoming.  Definitely a group that I would visit again, given the time off!  

No comments:

Post a Comment