Wednesday, January 13, 2016

An Exercise in Muscle Memory

So I took a drawing class once (Eve Larson at Laguna Gloria), and one of the exercises that we did was to draw our own hand.  However, before we drew it on paper, we drew it on a clean plastic sheet, over our hand.  More specifically, it was a transparent plastic sheet, rigid; my fingers curled up beneath the sheet and I traced them.  Then, we were to draw our hand directly onto paper.  And I have to admit that I did a great job!  Tracing first allowed me to see the lines in my hand for what they were, and I was easily able to draw the same perspective onto paper.

So, trying to emulate that exercise, I bought myself some tracing paper and am intent on being able to draw a specific photo that I took of my niece.  If I get good enough, maybe I can gift her a nice painting one day.  Or maybe her parents.  (Then, of course, I'd have to find another picture of her sister to do the same, but that's a topic for a completely different blog!)

Here's my traced sketch of my beautiful, little niece.


No comments:

Post a Comment